Monday, August 8, 2011

bloomers and a cape

A friend of mine recently gave birth to a sweet little baby girl so I thought I would whip up some bloomers as a gift.

Bloomers

The pair on the left was made with the Bloomers pattern from Simple Sewing for Baby by Lotta Jansdotter and the pair on the right was made with the Diaper Cover tutorial from the ever so awesome MADE blog. Both were fairly simple to whip up and they are both pretty darn cute!

Bloomers

Bloomers

I do think I prefer the idea of just rolling up the fabric to form the casing as instructed in the Diaper Cover pattern as opposed to using a bias tape/strip to make the casing as in the Bloomers pattern. It's easier and looks just as good. And if you use a soft, fuzzy flannel, the leg-holes stay nice and soft. It's funny how both are the smallest 0-3mo size but one pair looks like a full brief and the other a bikini. I guess the choices start early!

Next up is a cape I custom made for a 5 year old boy who LOVES red and Batman.

Cape for N

Cape for N collar detail

Here is big C modeling it. I made it with another shirt collar from my stash of UPcycled Shirt Dress leftovers, same as the other super hero cape I made over here. I'm sure I'm not the first person to use shirt collars for capes, but I have to say, I'm pretty smitten with the idea and I love that another part of the shirt can be used for something fun as opposed to being tossed in a landfill. Now I just have to come up with something to make with the cuffs. Ideas anyone..?

Btw, please pardon my rather crappy pictures. I tend to take most of my pictures with my iPhone (or more recently Android phone) because, well, it's just always right there. I really have to get myself organized and start taking proper pictures..


3 comments:

  1. Cute! Love the collar idea as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH! Cute bloomers and AWESOME cape! I know the li'l dude who is going to love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know how to cut the elastic for the Bloomers? She provides the total measurement for the elastic--1 yard--but what is the length for each leg opening and for the waist? I found nothing... I am making it for a baby who's not yet born, so I have no clue... HELP!!!!

    ReplyDelete