Tuesday, April 24, 2012

kcwc - upcycled knit twirl skirt


Yay! I finished my first project for the kcwc!

Twirl skirt

Twirl skirt

Twirl skirt

Twirl skirt

I was out at the thrift shop the other day and found a couple of knit tops that just happened to go together perfectly. I wish I had taken a picture of the 'before' tops. They were in great condition but rather lacking in style.. I love how this skirt turned out! I 'd actually wear this if it was adult sized! I was hoping to get a couple of pics on my normally skirt-loving model, but she has deemed today 'sweatpants and pajama day' and has refused to touch this :( Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics later on this week.

Here are the details:

Pattern - The Twirl Skirt by Lil Blue Boo. This is a PDF download so it involved some printing and taping but because there are only 2 pattern pieces, it was super quick

Fabric - The polkadot fabric is 100% cotton, the floral is a cotton/poly blend. Both are from thrifted shirts which were $3.99 each (with enough leftover to make another skirt). The ribbing for the waistband was from a remnant bin (can't remember the cost)

General Thoughts - Wow! This was a super easy, satisfying project. Once I had printed, taped and traced the pattern, the actual fabric cutting and sewing part probably only took about an hour. I've been meaning to make an upcycled knit skirt for a while and was freaked out a bit about sewing with knits so I put it off. For this project I just used my regular sewing machine - a standard stitch for the seams and zig-zag for the attaching the waistband. Easy peasy! Will definitely be making more of these :)

Ok, on to the next project now..

No comments:

Post a Comment