Yay! Day 3 of the Kids Clothes Week Challenge and I have one project complete!
These Dapper Dillinger Trousers were made from a Patterns by Figgy's pattern. If you`ve never tried one of their patterns, I fully recommend them. They are very well written, always look professional with lots of attention to details (without going over the top), and the designs are a perfect blend between fun and functional.
I did make a few small adjustments to the pattern though. When I got to the very last part of the waistband (the flat front panel), my fabric pieces ended up being too small. I`m not sure if I just messed up the seams somewhere along the way, but I ended up cutting another set of front panel pieces that were 1 inch longer than the pattern piece to ensure it covered the front band entirely and neatly. (I was tempted to figure out a way to just `make` the front pieces fit by sheer force of will, but decided it would really just be easier to cut new pieces).
Also, as I predicted, these pants did end up being quite loose for Big C. I made the 4/5T size for my nearly 4 year old (I could have easily gone with the 2/3T) and so I ended up making a couple small sizing adjustments. First of all, I didn`t add the cuffs. Although I love how the cuffs look, they would have made the pants waaay too long so I just sewed a regular hem. I figure when he has his next growth spurt and grows 3 inches in one night, I can add the cuffs then. Also, I finished these pants at around midnight and my sewing machine started acting up and doing crazy things with the tension and wonky stiches (maybe it was tired too!). So I figured it was a sign that these pants were to remain cuff-less. The last adjustment I did was to simple cut a shorter elastic (at least 1 1/2 inches shorter than the suggested length) and really cinch up the pants in the back to they would fit my skinny boy.
C was a little hesitant to model these for me, but then I told him they were Bruce Wayne pants and he gladly agreed.