Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kids Clothes Week Challenge

I've been following the Elsie Marley Blog for a while now, and there is never any shortage of sewing and crafty inspiration to be found there. This year, I've decided to join in on the fun and take part in the Kids Clothes Week Challenge (kcwc). Basically, I've committed myself to spending at least one hour a day sewing clothes for kids for an entire week May 9th-15th.

Now I think I'm already putting in an least an hour of sewing every night, so I'm going to give myself a few additional challenges. Along with my fabric stash, I have a pattern stash (sewing and knitting). My goal for this week will be to make clothes from these patterns (the ones I had every intention to use when I purchased them, but they somehow fell to the wayside). My second personal challenge will be to sew at least two pieces of clothing for my son (or possibly start knitting a sweater for him which will NOT be finished by the end of this week but will hopefully be done by the end of summer..). Every time lil c prances into the room in a new, freshly sewn dress, Big C very kindly smiles and comments on the lovely 'princessiness' of the garment, and says how nice she looks. Sometimes he asks where his new dress is and I feel so awful.. So this week, we are going to even up the score a bit and crank out some boys clothes! My final personal challenge will be to try sewing with knits. I'm typically a woven (non stretch) fabric kind of gal when it comes to sewing, but there are so many great knit patterns out there and they look oh-so-comfy! Time to give it a try.



Like I've said, I have a huge stack of pattens I would love to get to, but here are my top few items to get me started:

Dapper Dillinger Trousers - Patterns by Figgy's
Tee for Two (raglan-style t-shirt) - Patterns by Figgy's
The 90-Minute Shirt - Made Blog Tutorial
Princess Leggings - Heidi and Finn
Maya Yoga Skirt - ModKid by Patty Young
Ice Cream Dress - Oliver + S (I'm thinking I'm not really going to get to finish this one, but I would be happy to at least cut out the pattern and figure out what fabrics I'm going to use. I LOVE this dress!)
Classic Raglan Pullover - Jane Richmond (knitting pattern)

Wow, that's looking like a pretty ambitious list! Wish me luck!
Anyone else want to join me in the challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment